Dharma in the Age of the Network
David Chapman is a writer, computer scientist, engineer and Buddhist practitioner. He blogs on several sites including the hypertext book Meaningness.com.
Beginning a season of episodes on the theme of ethics, Vincent Horn welcomes David to explore a series of blog articles that David wrote on the theme of “Buddhist ethics.” Together they question some long held secular, leftish beliefs about Buddhist ethics, they explore the distinction between morality and ethics, and they examine how Buddhist ethics are practiced in the modern age.
This is part one of a two part series.
“Shakyamuni Buddha, 2,500 years ago, taught exactly the same ethics that was only rediscovered in California 30 years ago. He was a feminist, and sexually liberal, and environmentally conscious, and anti-racist. So great, we've got this religion that completely validates all the correct ethical positions and it's 2,500 years old.” - David Chapman
- Meaningness.com - http://meaningness.com
- David Chapman on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Meaningness
- “Buddhist ethics” is a fraud by David Chapman - https://meaningness.wordpress.com/2015/09/23/buddhist-ethics-is-a-fraud/#summary
- “Buddhist Ethics: A Very Short Introduction” by Damien Keown - http://www.amazon.com/Buddhist-Ethics-Very-Short-Introduction/dp/019280457X
- Is “Buddhist ethics” Buddhist? by Amod Lele - http://loveofallwisdom.com/blog/2015/10/is-buddhist-ethics-buddhist/ ]
- Mindfulness is More Than Just Paying Attention (with Ron Purser) - http://www.buddhistgeeks.com/2013/06/bg-288-mindfulness-is-more-than-just-paying-attention/
- “Ethics” is advertising by David Chapman - https://meaningness.wordpress.com/2015/10/05/buddhist-ethics-is-advertising
- Consensus Buddhism and Mindful Mayo - https://art19.com/shows/buddhist-geeks/episodes/31a00eb8-ecc4-4ccc-af2b-81bf72254f72