Silicon Valley’s most revered journalist hosts candid interviews with tech execs, politicians, celebrities and more about their big ideas and how they’re changing our world. Tune in every week for enlightening conversations with people like Tesla CEO Elon Musk, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg, and many more. Produced by Recode and the Vox Media Podcast Network.
Kai-Fu Lee, the CEO of Sinovation Ventures and former president of Google China, talks with Recode's Kara Swisher about his new book, "AI Superpowers: China, Silicon Valley, and the New World Order."
In this episode:
- 00:55 - Lee's background & Google China
- 03:32 - Why he left Google
- 05:41 - Why American companies struggled to compete in China
- 09:46 - It's not all because of the government
- 12:23 - Investing in artificial intelligence
- 18:42 - What "AI Superpowers" means
- 21:15 - Data and privacy in China vs. the West
- 25:17 - Where AI is going next
- 30:17 - How Lee thinks about American tech companies
- 33:09 - The impact of AI on jobs
- 40:10 - The political implications of those job changes
- 43:30 - The responsibilities of tech creators and investors