Imagine you are friends with hundreds of real estate investors and entrepreneurs. Now imagine you can grab a beer with each of them and casually chat about failures, successes, motivations, and lessons learned. That’s what The BiggerPockets Podcast delivers.
Co-hosted by Brandon Turner and David Greene, this podcast provides actionable advice from investors and other real estate professionals every week. The show won’t tell you how to “get rich quick” or sell you a course, boot camp, or guru system; instead, the BiggerPockets Podcast will give you real strategies that work for real people.
Start listening and join the 1.3 million members who are learning to invest so they need bigger pockets! Visit biggerpockets.com, and follow Brandon Turner @BrandonAtBP on Twitter and @beardybrandon on Instagram, and David Greene @DavidGreene24.
Today on the BiggerPockets Podcast we sit down with Ryan Lundquist, a professional real estate appraiser in the Sacramento area. An appraiser is one of the most important professionals that you, as an investor, are likely to deal with over and over in your business. Furthermore, knowing how to deal with an appraisal, especially when it comes in too low, is a skill that can help any investor.
Keeping with the “actionable content” approach that BiggerPockets is known for, this podcast will help you improve your investing by pulling back the curtain on the appraisal industry through our discussion with Ryan.
Thank you to everyone who has subscribed in iTunes to help make us one of the top business podcasts in all of iTunes! Every subscription and every review helps us reach more people – so thank you!
In Today’s Podcast, We Cover:
- How you can determine what a property is worth.
- When you should, and shouldn’t, use Zillow or other AVMs.
- How to challenge a bad appraisal.
- What to do when sales prices are higher than the appraiser will go.
- Dealing with the Hedge Funds in the market.
- Tips for getting your appraisal amounts higher by bringing your own comps.
- Dealing with FHA loans in your investments … and the dreaded FHA Appraisals.
- The most common property condition problems an appraiser is going to ping you on.
- How to deal with lead based paint in your investments.
Links From the Show:
- “The first step in discovering your property value is defining your location.” (Tweet This!)
- “Why not be proactive instead of reactive?” (Tweet This!)
- “In business, go in as a bridge builder, not a name caller.” (Tweet This!)
- “Investors: Get to know an appraiser – take them out to lunch, build that relationship.” (Tweet This!)
- “Understand your market at the same level that your appraiser does.” (Tweet This!)
Ryan Lundquist is a certified residential real estate appraiser based in Sacramento, CA. He provides appraisals and valuation consulting for a variety of clients including CPAs, attorneys, investors, home owners and lenders. Ryan is an avid blogger, bike rider, optimistic doer and family man with two sons.